Thursday, July 25, 2013

Arbitragin' the Hobby

ar·bi·trage  (ärb-träzh)
n.
    The purchase of securities on one market for immediate resale on another market in order to profit from a price discrepancy.


---


Picked up a lot of four (4) 2012 Topps Gold Sparkle cards on eBay for $5:
  • #180 Mariano Rivera
  • #240 David Wright
  • #379 Sergio Romo (RC)
  • #660 Yu Darvish (RC)
I was looking for the Romo, but jumped at the auction when I saw the Darvish.

The #660 Yu Darvish (RC) Gold Sparkle, raw, starts at ~$11 on COMC.

The card came in and is pristine condition. Sent it off to get graded; I could find only one transaction for the graded version of the card, a Gem Mint, for $40!

So, I figured I've got ~$15 wrapped up in this card, plus I got the Sergio Romo RC, which is what I really wanted.

Hobby arbitrage! Or, as my wife constantly reminds me, "going broke saving money".

No comments:

Post a Comment